Featured Post

Welcome

If you have ever wondered, where your food comes from or how it became a custom to see it on our plate, this blog is for you. I am a self-ta...

Tuesday, March 27, 2018

Oxtails






While deciding which recipe to feature for this week, I was having a harder time keeping my two rambunctious cats in line. I noticed they were fighting over which would obtain the prestigious honor of sitting in the empty box that I brought my oxtails home in. Fifteen pounds of oxtails takes a pretty decent sized box, even my fat cat can comfortably fit. Why would someone buy fifteen pounds of oxtails at a time, you wonder? Because it is worth it. Let me explain…

 

My first introduction into oxtails actually happened in my adult life. Oxtails were not something my family ate, at all. Even though we used many of our farms resources, we did not maintain a meat animal to provide food.

 

It was during my time in the big city that a dear friend of mine offered a sample of her lunch, which happened to be oxtails. I remember the spicy aroma, the pitch-black rice around this gelatinous piece of meat, and my old world soul seeming ready to dig in. I was hooked on them immediately as I tasted the meat. For weeks, I studied to acquire the best knowledge on how to cook this long lost food.

My first sample had been cooked Haitian style. The oxtails were fried and braised in an extremely hot pepper marinade very slowly until perfectly tender. The rice was cooked with Djon Djon (a mushroom powder originally from Haiti) which gave it that spectacular black color.

Since then I have been trying new methods of cooking oxtails, even paring them with other dishes.

 

I’ve always said you can connect with people and other cultures through food. A little middle ground will most certainly create foundations for friendships and enriching experiences. As a treat, my friend would often bring me leftovers from dinner when her family made oxtails. They were so divine; I would even face the peril of skin melting heat from the peppers to enjoy them. Once, they had made a less spicy version just for me, but alas, the meal containers unfortunately found themselves with the wrong recipient. With tears streaming down my fire red face, I savored every mouthful. Such memories will always last a lifetime, much like the scars.

 

The term ‘ox’ in oxtail derives from the young castrated male beef cow. Today we would call the ‘ox’ a ‘steer’. After hundreds of years, apparently the term oxtail just sounded better than steer tail. No text or record indicated the first time oxtail was served, or how it was prepared for that matter. Recipes from China, Korea, France, Great Brittan, and the territory of Louisiana all indicate the vast common interest in the delicacy. Each region provides their own versions and ‘correct’ methods of preparing and eating oxtails. Today, however, I will be providing a more Colonial American spin on the fly duster of meats. 

 

 

18th Century American Oxtails

Ingredients

3 pounds of oxtail meat

1/2 pint of Mushroom Ketchup (or a 1:1 ratio of beef broth and worchestershire sauce. See our upcoming blog regarding Mushroom Ketchup for more details)

1 tomatillo or regular green tomato, finely diced

1 tsp of garlic minced

2-3 green onion/scallions diced

Salt and pepper to taste
Two sprigs of rosemary, thyme, and tarragon 

 

When you buy your oxtails, chances are you will buy pre-cut smaller pieces already vacuum packed from the supermarket. I implore you; find a local butcher or meat market. The quality, in both size and flavor, will be substantially better. In this fashion, your oxtail will come fully intact. Just ask your butcher to cut them at the joint for you. Trust me, you will thank me later. The thicker the slice the better they will hold together after a long slow braising. This is not a stew! Do not treat is as such! You will need some elbow grease for this dish and it’s well worth it.

 

Place your oxtails in a bowl that allows them to have their own space and not be crammed together. Salt and pepper them to season. Let them sit while you prepare the marinade.

 

In a bowl, mix the mushroom ketchup, tomatillo, garlic, and green onion together. Stir to combine. Pour over the oxtails and let them sit in the refrigerator for an hour.

 

After they have had time to marinade, take them out of the refrigerator and let them sit and come to room temperature.

 

On the stove, heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil and 1 tablespoon of butter in a large Dutch oven until melted. Set the temperature to medium heat. Sear both sides of the oxtail until golden brown. Once all of the pieces are seared, pour the marinade over them and add the herb sprigs. Cover with the dutch oven lid and place in the oven. Set your oven to 250 degrees F. If you have opted for the larger cuts, per my instructions, you will benefit greater for leaving them to cook at least 2 hours. The smaller portions only need about 1 hour.

 
Once done, you have many options in which to serve them. My favorite is alongside some white buttered rice. Maybe even some stuffed tomatoes and lima beans. However, that is for another blog.



And yes she is still in the box.....

As always...Eat your history!


No comments:

Post a Comment