Featured Post

Welcome

If you have ever wondered, where your food comes from or how it became a custom to see it on our plate, this blog is for you. I am a self-ta...

Monday, March 19, 2018

Tell me about the good old days


My upmost apologies for not sticking to the schedule created at the start of this blog. Due to the sudden death of my grandfather, my attention has had to be elsewhere. Regardless, during my absence, I have not stopped planning new articles and topics. This one struck me the day I drove to the hospice house to see my granddad. I drove past many of the places he took me as a child. One that will forever remain infamous is The Allison Tree. It was a local produce and garden shop nestled on one of those back roads I had always thought was our secret. Besides sharing the same name, the shop had some macabre history. The store is built on the site where the old town hanging tree used to be. Criminals were taken directly from the jailhouse only two miles away to carry out their verdict. Even the logo displayed the iconic tree with a noose and horse. It was here my granddad instilled my love of old fashioned and local. I heard stories of one-room schoolhouses, hog farms, and old Appalachian ghost stories.

 

“Back in my day,” as he would begin every story, it was custom to see sides of meat and bacon hanging from the ceiling, and shelves of tin cans containing lard so big my seven-year-old self could not carry. Dried beans were kept in half –sized wooden barrels. Everything you wanted to buy would be by the pound. My favorite of all of the tasty morsels was the hoop cheese. Yes readers, Appalachian hoop cheese. Also known as farmer’s cheese, only the left over dairy milk is used. Salt and cream is left out during the process. If you were lucky, you would have two types to choose from. The red kind or black kind, in reference to what color wax casing the cheese had. The red kind, which was my favorite, had been aged longer than the cheese in the black rind. Traditionally, you would see the huge wheel or hoop of cheese on display on the counter beside the butchers block. With exact precision, the clerk could cut whatever amount you desired to the ounce. I believe I only witnessed this practice two or three times before health regulations required better storage. Now you can find chunks of the cheese individually vacuum packed. Not as impressive, in my opinion.

 


 

The second item on our shopping list was ground cherries. These dainty fruits date back in the Americas during the time of the Puritans. (If you insist on calling them pilgrims, fine. Just keep in mind they were Puritans who just happened to make a pilgrimage and founded the Plymouth Colonies.) The fruit bares multiple names such cape gooseberries and Inca berries. They are part of the nightshade family like tomatoes and tomatillos. Once you peel back the husk leaf exterior, a cherry sized fruit remains and is immediately ready for eating.

 

Wait…did I say nightshade family? Yes, yes I did. Although the fruit and its cousins are related to the same family as Deadly Nightshade, they are perfectly acceptable for eating. Do not attempt to eat the stems, stalks, or leaves as they can make you sick.

 

But I digress. Being the complex thinker my granddad was, after buying two or three baskets of ground cherries, he set to growing them in his garden. Once we had harvested and dried the seeds we had our own growing by the next spring.

 

Memories like this help ease that troublesome transition of grief. It’s almost impossible to cry when I have so many memories to smile about. Deep in my soul I am thankful for having the opportunity to call this man my grandfather. His words, stories, and lessons will forever be a part of who I am and what I strive for to build my future. My lesson for you today is your own history is never that far away. I fervently suggest you go ask your grandparents about some of these things. They have stories that do not need to be lost.

"Let us cross over the river and rest under the shade of the trees."  
~Thomas Johnathon Jackson


 

And as always …eat your history.

No comments:

Post a Comment